Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Spider-Man's Amazing Friends Review: Spider-Woman #5

Spider-Woman #5: In case you've been living under a rock, yes, this is the issue where Jessica gets a new costume, a new status quo, a new artist, prett much a new everything. Jessica, having just quit the Avengers, tries to return to a "normal" super-hero life by helping regular people and not having to deal with cosmic threats and universe-ending events every other day. Um...I guess nobody told her about Secret Wars?
The Good: Actually, there's a lot of great stuff this issue. I have to admit, I didn't really feel a new costume for Jess was necessary or "long over-due", but seeing the new costume in something besides publicity pics, made me realize that this new costume is really cool. It's got everything a new costume should have. It's modern, yet timeless, and it's instantly recognizable as the the hero that you know. At first glance, you know it's Spider-Woman, and that's the best and most important part. Besides the costume, Jess's new status quo is a lot of fun. She returns to her old stomping grounds,..and let's just leave it at that. I don't want to spoil anymore than I all ready have.
The Bad: There's a supporting cast member that's introduced, who's not a new face at all, just new to Jessica Drew. I have to be honest, I really wish it was a brand new character. This person brings a lot of baggage to the book, and I mean a LOT, and if he stays around, things are going to get complicated. This character is not your typical "Doctor Watson" and I hope his history doesn't overtake Jess.
What You Should Do: BUY THIS ISSUE!!!! Dennis Hopeless is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers, and the art of Javier Rodriguez is a total home run! I went into this book expecting disappointment, but was VERY happily surprised when I get into the book. It's a total thrill ride from start to finish. I really think I'm going to enjoy this series, and I bet you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment